Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Called To Serve




Last Wednesday, April 9, we took my little brother Jace down to the MTC. He is going to the Russia Moscow mission. It was a really neat experience, and I was glad we got to share that with him. Here are a few pic's of that day. Also, here is a poem that Jace read in his farewell church talk. I thought it was a really touching poem, written by someone in Russia. Hope you're doing well Jace!




Poem:
WHO ARE YOU BOY?


Who are you boy? You journeyed to this land of ours.
This land where I have endured my days and felt oppression kill my soul
and forced me into some tight mold and teach me that I should not hope
unless I care to smell the smoke of dreams that the Red Army tamed.
Who are you boy? From this land of plenty, teaching of God as if there is any.
You have all, we have none, do you know what it feels like son?
And yet, you ask me to believe in something that I cannot see,
some force you say will bring me joy. Do you know what that feels like boy?
Where you are from, faith is free, but it has a price for me.
When I have pain, I have my bottle.
Hurt dies quick when you drown it in vodka, that’s enough to warm my soul.
I work I sleep the days go by - I am waiting for the day I die.
You don’t understand this place. You say believe, obey, have faith,
live life well, serve and give. Here in Russia we just live.
Who are you boy? Why did you come to save a soul who once was numb?
To teach a wretched hateful man, who cursed your help, refused your hand.
I thought that we were world’s apart, so how is it you knew my heart?
A fraction my age, you calmed my rage, mercy paid my generous wage.
I should have been left behind; it is hard to love my kind.
Hope in your heart, power in your hands, why did you come to this distant land?
I know now it was for me, the Red Curtain fell, but I was not free,
Until a boy from nations away, brought me my Lord, I bless the day.
He led me to weep at my Master’s feet, the American boy I met on the street.
New and naïve, still in his teens with a message to bring the world to its knees.
I thought that the truth would come from another,
I did not know this boy was my brother.

11 comments:

Bree said...

OK-first of all, I ddin't even know that Jace was going on a mission let alone old enough to go..to me he should still be 10. My Mom must have failed to mention that. Also why did you hide your cute belly behind Ryan? I would've liked to see it. And laslty is that Jarod? I totally didn't recognize him at ALL. Is that his girlfriend or wife that is next to him? But how cool that Jace is in Russia..that's crazy since when I moved to Riverdale he was like 2 or 3. He will do great I'm sure

Nicole said...

bzWholly moley!! I can't believe how your family has grown up! I barely recognized them. That sounds weird that your bro is going on mission, I swear he should still be like 8! Crazy how time flies!

Leigh said...

Wow! that is an awesome poem! I'm so happy for Jace. I can't believe he is a missionary now. Love you guys!

Leigh said...

I'd also like to say, i think Ryan's purse is very fashionable! He has great taste, it's a good look for him! hehehehe

Kara said...

That is so awesome that he went on his mission. Our brothers can chat in Russian when he gets back. I bet he will be an awesome missionary. I do feel a little bit old knowing that everyone around us is growing up!

Sarah Jayne said...

yeah, I agree that our younger siblings should not be old enough to do things like go on missions or get married and have babies! Cause that just means that we are still older than them!!! It is quite a neat experience sending brothers off on missions!

Chelle said...

How exciting! He'll be home before you know it. My sister is in Argentina and she'll be home in August! Time has gone by so quickly and now that you can email them it makes it much easier to communicate. No more waiting weeks on end for the mail to get in and out of the country! What a neat time for your entire family!

Lindsey Rose said...

That is great, and Russia, what an awesome experience. I remember when Bobby jarrett wrote me letter from his mission in Russia and the language is awesome! Tell him good luck!

Sharstin said...

wow! That will be an awesome mission! love that pict of Jaxon and your bro

Erin said...

What a cute missionary :) I had mixed emotions when my little brother left. A tiny bit of me wanted me him to stay here! He is currently in the Switzerland mission and will be home in October (time really flies)! It is amazing how many blessing we get from having a family member serve a mission!!

Danielle said...

SO I am a little late on this but thought I should check out your blog. I can't believe he is old enough for a mission. I can still remember babysitting you guys. How time flies!